Saturday, April 30, 2011

Josiah's Story

Back in December, I had an ultrasound that told us two things--first, we were having a boy, and second that this little boy was measuring 8 days ahead of schedule.

Fast forward through 18 1/2 more weeks of cravings for Taco Bell and oranges, daily braxton hicks contractions, heartburn, restless legs, itchiness and weeks of sleepless nights... At 38 1/2 weeks, my OB said my body was getting ready for labor, but still wasn't very close--she'd see me next week for my regular appointment.

Two days later, my braxton hicks contractions were getting stronger but still weren't regular. I spent the morning out with my girls, realizing I may not have many more opportunities for girl time. By mid afternoon, the contractions were still getting stronger and they were getting closer together. I called Dakota and told him to let his mom know we may be calling her to come up before the end of the day. It wasn't much longer before we made that call and asked her to start the three hour drive up here. We got the girls set up with dinner and called a neighbor to come watch the girls until Dakota's mom arrived.

We checked into the hospital around 6:30pm. At about 11pm my water broke, and just a few minutes after that I started begging to be allowed to push. I could feel the baby--he was right there ready to be pushed out! But the nurse kept insisting that I wait until the doctor got there. That was the LONGEST and most agonizing 20 minutes of my life! My baby was ready to be born, but the doctor was nowhere to be seen! For those who think it's hard to push a baby out, I have to tell you it's equally as hard NOT to push out a baby who wants to be born! FINALLY the doctor showed up and I was allowed to push. In one contraction I pushed him out. Told you he was ready!

Josiah Garrett Derr was born--8 days ahead of his due date--early by the doctor's estimate, but right on time, if you ask me. He was 8lb 10 oz, and 21.5 inches long. I can't even (and really don't want to) think about how big he would have been if he had waited eight more days before making his appearance!


He is a perfect little boy with lots of hair--as a testimony to all the endless nights of heartburn. He was a very peaceful little guy in the hospital, not crying much, but making lots of cute little squeaks and sleeping every chance he got. When we got home, a short day and a half later, he surprised us by pulling his first all-nighter and finding his voice when he was hungry or needing changed. In general he's a good little baby and very snuggly. He's also a good eater, getting back to his birth weight by just 4 days old.








Such tiny hands...


He's usually a good baby, but can be a bit of a stinker when he wants to be...


Josiah is adored by his big sisters, who argue over who gets to hold him every day.




Truth be told, I was kind of hoping at that initial ultrasound appointment to hear the words, "It's another girl." I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea of having a boy. I didn't grow up with any brothers, just sisters. And only having had girls up until now, I really didn't know what to do with a boy. But now that he's here, we're so glad to have him be part of our family. God knew just what our family needed, and it was Josiah.

6 comments:

Julie said...

He is so sweet!

Elaine Marie Cooper said...

Your little boy is BEAUTIFUL and the pictures made me cry! How precious. Congratulations!!!

Megan said...

That is such a wonderful birth story! I'm so happy for you guys. Josiah is precious!

Nikki said...

Congratulations Heather! first of all he is so handsome! And wow! that was a fast labor! I remember trying to fight the urge to push with Eva, and it's so hard! Way worse to hold off the urge in my book!

Sondra said...

He is just adorable and I love all the pics!! Congratulations to you!! Hope you are getting some rest too.

On a somewhat related note, I think he looks some like your nephew (Sonny's) in the eyes... I'm not sure though, I have only seen a few pictures of him!

Lisa said...

awww...he's a cute little guy. Boys are very different from girls, but are great. Congratulations!