Monday, June 28, 2010

The New Spring Line

Yes, I know it's technically summer now, but I didn't get around to posting this earlier. These are pieces of the new "spring line" around here.

I worked my butt off this spring, making four new outfits in one month--a record for me! I didn't want to post pictures until June, because one of the outfits was for my nephew and I wanted it to be a surprise.

This one was Nathan's. This was the first baby outfit I had ever made--and it will probably be the last. It was a really good learning experience, but it was difficult to make something so small with my sewing machine. It has a zipper in the back and snap tape between the legs--both firsts for me.


What a cutie!


I ended up making two outfits for Ashlyn. The first one didn't fit her the way I expected it to, and even after trying to alter it, it still didn't seem to fit quite right. So I put it aside and used a different pattern to make a different outfit.

I saw the "little monkey" fabric in the store and knew I had to us it to make something for her. She is commonly referred to as "the little monkey" around here, so it only seemed fitting.

Emma picked out the sparkly butterfly fabric several months ago. She couldn't wait for it to be turned into a dress that she could finally wear.


I'm learning that sewing with patterns doesn't guarantee that everything will turn out perfect and fit just like the pictures on the envelope. It bugs me that clothing makers seem to assume all kids are short and fat, and make their patterns accordingly. I had to make a lot of changes to Emma's dress, from what the pattern indicated.



But in the end it all worked out. The girls are happy so I'm happy.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Adorable outfits mom! Fantastic job! The models are cute too!

Becky said...

I agree that they assume everyone is short and chubby. The clothing seems to run off in patterns. If they will hold still for you while sewing, you can kind of hold it up while piecing and see what adjustments might need made as you go...which is easier than once it is already done.
Great job on the outfit for Nathan...tooo cute. And yes, baby clothes are tedious to make.
Great job Heather!